Monday, June 25, 2012

DISTRACTING REPETITIVE LANGUAGE

I'm reading a teen book right now and I can't help but complain about a few words that I have noticed repeated a few times too many. Those words are "blinked" and "swallowed." Blinked is used when one of the characters doesn't know what to say, or there's a silence, or they're shocked, etc. Swallowed is sort of used in the same way. I'm going to make up a fake sentence as an example: She saw how far down the climb was and swallowed." Or, "She swallowed hard when she saw the creature's horrifying features." I'm tempted to count the number of times that this author uses these two words but I'll resist this temptation. The problem is that once you notice a pattern like this the usage becomes so abhorrent that it's like nails on a chalk board.

Does anyone else have any pet peeves?

No comments:

Post a Comment