Thursday, August 11, 2011

SEARCHING FOR THE BAD, LOOKING FOR THE GOOD

Why do we as authors and illustrators always search out the bad and not the good? Or rather, why does the bad always stick and the good disappear? I'm trying to change that. I'm trying not to care about the one person who said something negative about this or that and remember that most people say the opposite. It's also hard not to want to say something back - like "But.... this is why I did this, that, and the other, and this is why you're wrong." But we can't do that! Oh, blah. It's hard!

I remember the first time I got a review that said something negative. It wasn't even that bad but it was in a big newspaper and I was expecting greatness. I got so worked up that I told my editor I was quitting. She probably didn't believe me. I think everyone ignored my behavior - you know - there there, now be quiet and move on - kind of thing.

The last time I did a school visit it was hard because another artist was doing a talk right next to me in the gym and there was no sound barrier! We were competing for sound and he was drowning me out. It was impossible and I just wanted to give up. Then when he was over the kids were so loud leaving that the noise just went on and on. Then when that was over I had a Q&A. I was probably not completely on my game at that point and said "um" more than normal. Or something. None the less a student came up to me and said "Did you know that you said 'um" 67 times?'" "No, I didn't," I said.

It's tough being an author.

No comments:

Post a Comment