Friday, February 11, 2011

DESIGN & TEXT IN BOOKS

I have been looking at THIS IS NEW YORK a bit because I'm working on a new book and it takes place in the late 50s - early 60s. This is New York was made during that time period. A lot of times I want the design of my books to be inspired by the time period I'm writing about. As I was looking at the book below I noticed that there is a lot of negative white space. Where the designer chose to put the type is interesting. I think it works well:

period











But if the type was lumped all together in one place, as opposed to sprinkled about asa it is, the book might be ruined. OR suppose the designer got a little overzealous and used odd fonts or bold type or made the fonts colored? The book might also look awful.

What would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment